Reading Notes: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows
Honestly, the majority of the technical discourse in the Linux and Mac writing was way over my head. It was as if I were reading Arabic. Let’s say that my knowledge of Operating Systems in general could have been rated as a 5 out of 100 two hours ago, it’s now at about 10. Not much of a jump, I know, but I’m at least beginning to grasp the topic a bit.
I’ve always owned an Apple computer, and I’ve used Windows at school and work. I’m able to use both operating systems, yet I couldn’t explain the underlying differences very well. Without putting much thought into it, I have continuously chosen to buy Apples, because they seem easier and more ‘logical’ to use. I know that lots of others have a contrasting opinion, so I’m glad there’s a choice! It’s been comforting to me to not have to worry as much as PC users about getting viruses on my computer. It’s been frustrating to me that I haven’t always had as many programs or games available to me, because I have a Mac. So I understand Amit Singh’s point that all operating systems have advantages and disadvantages.
If I ever find myself in a position to completely understand the technical aspects of Linux or Mac OSX, I will be in real trouble!
Michele Farina
Michele, I was also confused. You're not alone in this, trust me. I think I jumped from a 2 to a 3 in terms of understanding operating systems. I'm really hoping that by the end of the course, I'll manage to get up to a 15 or 20. :-)
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you've been pretty happy with your Mac. I may have to look into getting one when my laptop (Windows) dies and goes to Linux heaven. (See, I'm pretending that I know what Linux is...but I think that's what Windows might use???)
From reading a couple of our classmates' notes on these articles, along with how I felt when I was reading them, I think that there are a few of us who would give ourselves a pretty low score on understanding the different operating systems. It's a relief to see how I'm not alone in not quite grasping what these assigned readings were talking about.
ReplyDeleteI also have a Mac, but I used Windows up until a few years ago. It's definitely nice that Macs aren't as vulnerable to viruses as the Windows systems are.
I certainly agree with you about Macs being more logical. I just had a conversation with a friend about this the other day. I switched from a PC with Windows to a Mac this summer and have really appreciated how easily I can work between so many different tasks and it doesn't slow my computer down at all. (Right now I have about 10 tabs in Firefox, Word, iPhoto and my Sticky notes all in use). It's great!
ReplyDeleteCount me in as an avid Mac user! I also love the fact that viruses are not a problem...I think this more than makes up for a lack of games. If I wanted to play games I'd buy a Wii :-) And I hate that my computer at work doesn't have Stickies...I have nowhere to put all my log-ins and passwords.
ReplyDeleteMichelle,
ReplyDeleteDon't worry, I had trouble with the readings as well. I just learned about Linux for the first time when I read about it in the reading. I am used to the Windows setup for a computer, although I have encountered Mac computers and their software before. I am not fond of the absence of a "right-click" within Mac computers. I'm with you on most of the technical aspects of computers. Hang in there, we'll get it eventually!
Ryan