My Comments on other notes
comment1
comment 2
MY NOTES
Digital Libraries- Challenges & Influential Work
This article points out the complicated processes involved in a search for information, as complicated by the sheer quantity of digital resources available. The background information on DLI-1 especially interesting, as well as the accountability of federal funding into such initiatives.
Dewey Meets Turing
This presents an interesting angle into looking at DLI- the relationships between librarians and computer scientists, and the 'wrench' of the world wide web being thrown into their otherwise-perfect coupling. Yet again we see reference to access, algorithms, Google, copyright restrictions, etc. To make a long story short, change usually isn't easy to deal with, and the DLI's history provides plenty of obstacles met and overcome.
Institutional Repositories
It's hard to imagine that institutional repositories were only born 8 years ago; so much has gone on in such a short time. MIT's DSpace played a crucial role in ...
Hey Michelle,
ReplyDeleteI agree that the Dewey Meets Turing article was an interesting article about the growing relationship between librarians and computer scientists. I think both librarians and computer scientists should work together mmore often. As technology continues to evolve, there is no doubt we (librarians) will need more technological knowledge.
Hey Michelle,
ReplyDeleteFor the web page design, I am definitely using HTML. For some reason I find it a little more straight forward and a little easier, so I'm definitely going with that.
Ms. Farina,
ReplyDeleteI too was struck by the fact that so much has occurred in such a short time with the institutional repositories! And, like Mr. Splenda, I agree that librarians and computer scientists should work together more often. I think that each group can bring things to the table that the other group might not have even consiered.
Tim,
ReplyDeleteI think you're right- librarians and computer scientists should work together more often! However, I guess it can be frustrating for both parties when one is always evolving and changing while the other relies on known practices. Librarians need to find a way to adapt these practices for the future, which should involve relationships with computer scientists.